Parental Consent Key Messages
- FCPS carefully reviews digital resources to ensure vendors accurately outline how they protect student data in accordance with federal and state law.
- According to FERPA, FCPS does not need to obtain consent for all digital resources - just ones where student data is collected and we do not have a contract or data confidentiality agreement with the vendor. (In legally technical terms, we designate vendors as a “school official” when we establish a contract and/or a data sharing agreement with them.)
- Our school opts to use some digital resources that require your consent. These have been carefully vetted by IS and IT for instructional appropriateness, technical functionality, and student data management which is compliant with FERPA and state law.
- For more information about how digital resources will be used, contact your child’s teacher or administrator.
- Students will not be instructed to create an account with these resources until a parent provides consent. In the event that a parent does not consent, an alternative resource will be provided which can be used to meet the instructional need in a similar way.
View the South Lakes Digital Resources page and consent form.