Heath Room (Clinic)

Health Room information and important health forms

Phone Numbers

703-715-4612 | 703-715-4609 (fax)


Ashley Haas 

School Health Aide

@email | 703-715-4612


photo of Mary Ellen WolfMary Ellen Wolf

Fairfax County Public Health Nurse

[email protected] | 703-715-4610


Hours and Location

8:05 a.m. - 2:55 p.m. 
Room #322


Students who do not feel well should report to the Health Room. If the Health Room is closed, students will be directed to report to the Main Office. Schools are required to monitor the number of students who are absent or go home ill.

Student Health at South Lakes

Health Information Form

The Health Information Form is to be completed by the parent/guardian at the start of each school year. If there are any changes to the student’s health conditions during the school year, please update and resubmit the Health Information Form to the school. The completed form is given to the PHN in the Health Room. 

Medication Authorization in FCPS

Students who need to take medication during school hours, or those who must have emergency medication available while at school, will provide the Health Room with a signed FCPS authorization form for each ordered medication (Rx or OTC).  All medications will be kept in the Health Room and will be administered, as ordered, under adult supervision.

Note: High school students may carry Epinephrine and Inhaler medication when ordered by their physician. These medications require more detailed trigger, symptom and dosing information which is provided on the specific Authorization forms. Use the Medication Authorization Form for all other medication.        

Prescription (Rx) Medications

While all medication authorizations required parent signature in Part I of all FCPS Medication Authorizations, prescription (Rx) medications require a medical professional/physician to complete and sign Part II. Medication must be unexpired and provided in its original pharmacy packaging. The Rx label name and instructions must match the medication order.

Over The Counter (OTC) Medications

Over the counter (OTC) medications are drugs that can be purchased without a doctor's prescription and are used for the relief of symptoms on a temporary basis.

  • Physicians may order an OTC medication to be given throughout the school year to treat specific symptoms or conditions. The physician will complete and sign Part II of the Medication Authorization Form. Examples include antihistamines for allergic reaction.
  • Parents may authorize limited use of an OTC medication during 10 consecutive school days using the Medication Authorization Form. Examples include antihistamines for seasonal allergies. 
  • Parents may authorize ”as needed” use of certain OTC medication as pain reliever for headaches, muscle aches, menstrual cramps, or orthodontic pain using the Medication Authorization Form. OTC medication must be unexpired and provided in its original package.

Examples include Tylenol, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, and Pamprin.

Transport of Medications to and from School

Parents or guardians must transport all Rx medications to the school’s Health Room. Students may drop off OTC meds with authorization forms.

Scheduling Medical Appointments

Please make every effort to schedule appointments outside of school hours. When this is not possible, call the Sub-School office or have your student deliver a parent signed note before their first class begins.

Release of Student from School

If the Health Room determines that your student must be excused from school, only the individuals you have designated on the Emergency Care Information form will be contacted to arrange release.  In an emergency, 911 will be called prior to contacting the parent or emergency contact.