School Innovation & Improvement Plan
School Innovation and Improvement Plan At-a-Glance
South Lakes High School
Kim Retzer, Principal
End of Year SMARTR Outcome (Closing the Gap)
In order to increase our on-time graduation rates, we will reduce full-day unexcused absences by 5% and unexcused tardies in the morning (per. 1 & 2) by 10% l. Improvement in this area should result in positive progress on Federal Graduation Index graduation rate for all groups for 4, 5 and 6-year cohorts.
- South Lakes High School administrators and school staff will implement a tardy table for close supervision of tardies to periods one and two on a daily basis which accounted for 55% of our unexcused tardies to class in 2016-17. The tardy table staff will work collaboratively with grade level Administrative Assistants to monitor unexcused tardies to periods one and two. This will facilitate South Lakes High school administrators and staff working with families and students to improve school attendance.
- Administrators will create an online discipline referral for easier accessibility for teachers to document and report student attendance to classes. Additionally, Administrators will work collaboratively with teachers to build their efficacy and capacity to provide engaging instruction via CT leader training, which will positively impact reducing tardies and class cuts and improving full-day attendance.
- We will utilize a variety of strategies to address the importance of attendance to include: home visits, attendance referrals, Attendance Circles, and Check and Connect as Tier 2 interventions for students with chronic attendance issues.
End of Year SMARTR Outcome (Raise the Bar)
South Lakes will continue to implement project-based learning (PBL) by increasing the number of teams trained from 8 to 12.
- PBL trained teachers will continue to collaborate within the building and with other Region 1 schools to implement PBL units. PBL training and supports will be provided through the South Lakes PBL leads and online through the PBL resources. FCPS Learning Services will provide on-site training, support, and feedback for South Lakes’ teachers.
- Collaborative teams will evaluate, reflect and refine the implementation of PBL units for increased development and build the capacity of PBL practices. Teachers already trained will implement at minimum one PBL unit per semester this school year. Newly trained teachers will implement at least one PBL unit this year.
End of Year SMARTR Outcome (Individual Growth)
By the end of the 2017-18 school year, SLHS will continue to use all essential components for both faculty and the school community as measured on the Tiered Fidelity Inventory (Project AWARE tool).
- Increase the capacity to use and gather data on the Project Aware referrals coming from staff through the Academic Intervention Database system on Microsoft Access, while refining the referral system used in the 2016-17 school year.
- Tier 2 interventions will be evaluated for their efficacy in helping students in need. Adjustments to tier 2 interventions will be made to reflect needs of students.
- We will implement Tier 1 mental wellness activities building-wide to address and educate students on increasing resiliency and managing stress. Staff will continue to provide mental wellness resources to parents.
- SLHS staff will consistently implement SOAR lessons and participate in Emotional Intelligence training activities.
For additional information regarding this School Improvement Plan, please contact the school principal.