Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID), is a program designed for students with recognized academic potential, an individual determination to succeed, and a desire to take challenging courses that lead to four-year college enrollment.
AVID students are learners who
- have a goal of attending a four-year college;
- are motivated and determined to succeed in school;
- have a GPA of 2.0-3.5, but want to push themselves into Honors/IB classes
The mission of AVID is to ensure that students “in the middle” who have the potential to be successful in a college preparatory path will
- succeed in a rigorous curriculum
- enroll in a four-year college
- enter mainstream activities of the school
- become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society.
The foundation of the AVID program is an elective class that provides academic support for students who aspire to college and who would benefit from daily instructional support in order to be successful in a college preparatory course of study. Trained tutors work with students during the AVID class to help them develop higher-level thinking and independent study skills. AVID students also hear a number of guest speakers and participate in at least one college field trip.
Download the AVID application. Refer to the bottom of the application for instructions on turning it in.
SLHS AVID Contacts
- AVID Administrator: Heather Thomas | @email
- AVID Counselor: Patricia Alfaro | @email and Karyn Mrowka @email
- AVID Coordinator: Jill Silton | @email